Buy a Gift Voucher
Understanding Dog Behaviour
Understanding Dog Behaviour. Course Code: RSV201UDB7.
Understanding dog behaviour will help you establish a lifelong friendship with your canine companion. You’ll learn what makes your dog tick and how to manage certain behaviours.
Register your interest in this course: RSPCA Short Courses
About this course:
Ever wondered why dogs behave the way they do? Want to know how to use positive training techniques to teach new skills and behaviours? Work with our skilled Educators to take your understanding of dogs to the next level. You’ll discover how dogs learn and how their body structure and temperament might have an impact on the way they interact with the world. You’ll discover how behaviours are learnt, shaped and reinforced. This course is perfect for those wanting to get their paw in the door of the animal industry, or already working within the field, as well as helping people to increase skills with their own pets at home. This is an advanced course that assumes you have a basic understanding of how dogs communicate. If you want to start with a beginner course first, consider Reactive Rovers or Stop Doing That.
- Please arrive at the Burwood East Education Centre 10 minutes before your class to register and so that we can start on time. Parking is available on site.
- Meet and work with our experienced Education staff and their animals, along with industry experts, throughout the session for practical, hands-on skill development.
- Work through a detailed course book (yours to keep) with theoretical, scientific and clinical information based on our years of experience in animal welfare and caring for dogs.
- BYO lunch or take advantage of our fantastic on-site café!
- We may be spending some time outside and touring around, so please bring weather appropriate clothing.
- Identify dog behaviours and their development
- Get an overview of the historical and scientific basis of different training methods
- How to train skills and new behaviours in the dogs with which you live and work
- A hands-on, practical class – meet and work with our Education dogs as well as and industry experts and qualified trainers
- Informative and fun session to increase your knowledge and skills
- Detailed course manual to take home
- RSPCA take home bag
- An engaging and informative session to increase your knowledge and skills
- Certificate of Participation
- Complimentary morning and afternoon tea
- BYO lunch or take advantage of our fantastic on-site café and $10 student lunch special.
We may be spending some time outside and touring around, so please bring weather appropriate clothing.
For those working with dogs, dog training instructors new to the role and pet owners interested in advancing their training skills. Attendees must be 16 years or older. This course assumes basic knowledge of dog behaviour prior to commencement.
The following booking conditions apply:
- If the Booking is cancelled more than 30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, the full fee will be refunded;
- If the Booking is cancelled 14 -30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, 50% of the full fee will be refunded; and
- If the Booking is cancelled less than 14 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, there will be no refund.
Terms and Conditions
- Participants must be 16 years or older (excluding Animal Career Discovery Day where this is 'Year 9 or above').
- Program activities are conducted by RSPCA Victoria Education Officers and staff. RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to alter activities or cease programs should staff and participant safety be compromised.
- Cancellation fees apply.
- For safety reasons, participants must wear appropriate clothing and closed-in shoes.
- RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to cancel the class should minimum numbers not be met. A full refund will apply in these circumstances.
Participants will be involved in a range of hands-on activities visiting various parts of the Burwood East site. While the RSPCA takes all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of participants, all participants enter at own risk.
By enrolling in these programs you acknowledge that you understand this disclaimer and release RSPCA (Victoria) and its employees, agents, volunteers and contractors from any liability whatsoever, to the extent permitted by law.