Buy a Gift Voucher
Caring for Horses
Horses, Horse Care
Caring for Horses. Course Code: RSV101CFCH7
Register your interest in this course: RSPCA Short Courses
A great introduction for those wanting hands on experience and expert knowledge in all things equine. You’ll learn how to work with horses safely, grooming and rugging techniques, nutrition and diet, common health issues and much more.
About this course:
This course is a great introduction to working with or owning horses, as well as providing more in-depth understanding and hands-on skills to work with a variety of breeds. Learn to identify different horse breeds, understand common health issues and basic nutrition and how to work with horses safely.
Our programs are tailored for those wanting to enter the animal industry or already working within this field, as well as helping people to increase skills with their own animals.
- Attendees must be 14 years or older.
- Please arrive at the Burwood East Education Centre 10 minutes before your class to register and so that we can start on time. Parking is available on site.
- Meet and work with our experienced Education staff and their animals, along with industry experts, throughout the session for practical, hands-on skill development.
- Work through a detailed course book (yours to keep) with theoretical, scientific and clinical information based on our years of experience in animal welfare and caring for horses.
- We will be spending some time outside and touring around, so please wear weather appropriate clothing including long trousers and riding boots or similar (no thongs/sandals).
- Please be aware, no riding of horses will occur on this day.
- How to work safely with horses
- Common health issues, basic nutrition and breed identification
- Introduction to behaviour and equipment used when working with horses
- Informative and fun session to increase your knowledge and skills
- Detailed course manual to take home
- RSPCA take home bag
- Complimentary morning and afternoon tea
- A hands-on, practical class – meet and work with our Education horses as well as horse experts and qualified presenters
- Certificate of Participation
- BYO lunch or take advantage of our fantastic on-site café and $10 student lunch special.
We will be spending some time outside and touring around, so please wear weather appropriate clothing including long trousers and riding boots or similar (no thongs/sandals).
Those wanting to work with horses, pet owners, potential pet owners, those working with pet owners.
The following booking conditions apply:
- If the Booking is cancelled more than 30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, the full fee will be refunded;
- If the Booking is cancelled 14 -30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, 50% of the full fee will be refunded; and
- If the Booking is cancelled less than 14 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, there will be no refund.
Terms and Conditions
- Participants must be 16 years or older (excluding Animal Career Discovery Day where this is 'Year 9 or above').
- Program activities are conducted by RSPCA Victoria Education Officers and staff. RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to alter activities or cease programs should staff and participant safety be compromised.
- Cancellation fees apply.
- For safety reasons, participants must wear appropriate clothing and closed-in shoes.
- RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to cancel the class should minimum numbers not be met. A full refund will apply in these circumstances.
Participants will be involved in a range of hands-on activities visiting various parts of the Burwood East site. While the RSPCA takes all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of participants, all participants enter at own risk.
By enrolling in these programs you acknowledge that you understand this disclaimer and release RSPCA (Victoria) and its employees, agents, volunteers and contractors from any liability whatsoever, to the extent permitted by law.