Buy a Gift Voucher
Caring for Backyard Chickens
Caring for chickens; animal welfare
Caring for Backyard Chickens: Course Code: RSV101CFC3
Learn how to feed, handle and care for chickens and how you can provide an enriched living environment for your fluffy fowl.
About this course:
When it comes to caring for chickens, you’ll be ahead of the flock with our newly hatched Caring for Backyard Chickens course! Chickens are very clever and make great pets when they receive the right care. And don’t forget those fresh eggs! Find out how you can provide an enriched living environment for your fluffy fowl by learning about their behaviour, feeding, diet, health, egg production, housing, safe handling and transport. They’ll never want to fly the coop!
- Chicken behaviour, communication and social structure • How to choose the right breed for you • Diet and nutrition • Common health issues • Requirements for housing • Safe handling and transportation • Egg production
- Delivery by our industry experts and qualified trainers • A demonstration of practical training techniques • Informative and fun session to increase your knowledge and skills • Helpful take home resources • A Certificate of Attendance
We may be spending some time outside and touring around, so please bring weather-appropriate clothing.
Those wanting to work in the animal care industry, pet owners, potential pet owners, those working with pet owners. Attendees must be 16 years or older.
The following booking conditions apply:
- If the Booking is cancelled more than 30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, the full fee will be refunded;
- If the Booking is cancelled 14 -30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, 50% of the full fee will be refunded; and
- If the Booking is cancelled less than 14 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, there will be no refund.
Terms and Conditions
- Participants must be 16 years or older (excluding Animal Career Discovery Day where this is 'Year 9 or above').
- Program activities are conducted by RSPCA Victoria Education Officers and staff. RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to alter activities or cease programs should staff and participant safety be compromised.
- Cancellation fees apply.
- For safety reasons, participants must wear appropriate clothing and closed-in shoes.
- RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to cancel the class should minimum numbers not be met. A full refund will apply in these circumstances.
Participants will be involved in a range of hands-on activities visiting various parts of the Burwood East site. While the RSPCA takes all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of participants, all participants enter at own risk.
By enrolling in these programs you acknowledge that you understand this disclaimer and release RSPCA (Victoria) and its employees, agents, volunteers and contractors from any liability whatsoever, to the extent permitted by law.