Buy a Gift Voucher
Starting from Scratch
Starting from Scratch. Course Code: RSV101SFS3
Taught by leading feline health veterinarian, Dr Carole Webb, this is the purrfect course for anyone wanting to understand the basics of cat health, behaviour and enrichment.
About this course:
Think you know your feline friend? Think again. You probably haven’t scratched the surface! Cats communicate differently to dogs and experience different challenges living with humans. Starting from Scratch is the purrfect course for anyone wanting to learn the basics of caring for cats and cat behaviour. Taught by Dr Carole Webb, a leading feline health veterinarian, you’ll learn everything from choosing the right breed of cat or kitten for your lifestyle to understanding what your kitty is trying to tell you through their body language. You’ll also learn how to complete a full health check, including how to spot signs of illness or stress (which cats are very good at hiding!) and the right way to tablet. And, you’ll also receive fur-tastic hacks that will help you create the purrfect play session and keep your cat enriched and happy at home for hours. This course really is the cat’s whiskers!
This course is a great introduction to cats and cat behaviour and can be followed up with our Catitude course, which looks at problem behaviours and attitudes.
- How to choose the breed and age of cat • How to set up your home for an easy transition for a new cat/kitten • Respectful cat manners • Diet and nutrition • The importance of cat enrichment • Safe cat handling & transportation • Feline health and wellbeing
- Delivery by our industry experts and qualified trainers • A demonstration of practical training techniques • Informative and fun session to increase your knowledge and skills • Helpful take home resources • A Certificate of Attendance
We may be spending some time outside and touring around, so please bring weather-appropriate clothing.
Those wanting to work in the animal care industry, pet owners, potential pet owners, those working with pet owners. Attendees must be 16 years or older.
The following booking conditions apply:
- If the Booking is cancelled more than 30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, the full fee will be refunded;
- If the Booking is cancelled 14 -30 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, 50% of the full fee will be refunded; and
- If the Booking is cancelled less than 14 days prior to the date of delivery of the session/workshop, there will be no refund.
Terms and Conditions
- Participants must be 16 years or older (excluding Animal Career Discovery Day where this is 'Year 9 or above').
- Program activities are conducted by RSPCA Victoria Education Officers and staff. RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to alter activities or cease programs should staff and participant safety be compromised.
- Cancellation fees apply.
- For safety reasons, participants must wear appropriate clothing and closed-in shoes.
- RSPCA Victoria reserves the right to cancel the class should minimum numbers not be met. A full refund will apply in these circumstances.
Participants will be involved in a range of hands-on activities visiting various parts of the Burwood East site. While the RSPCA takes all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of participants, all participants enter at own risk.
By enrolling in these programs you acknowledge that you understand this disclaimer and release RSPCA (Victoria) and its employees, agents, volunteers and contractors from any liability whatsoever, to the extent permitted by law.